MTTP Benefits Navigator
e4c Make Tax Time Pay
Volunteer Benefits Navigator
Supervisor: Site Coordinator
Program Description: e4c Make Tax Time Pay (MTTP) offer individuals and families with low incomes free tax preparation, information and applications on government benefits and subsidies, as well as financial resource information.
Time, Schedule, and Commitment:
- 3-5 hours a week during the months of March and April
- Each seasonal tax site operates on a different schedule, a variety of shifts are available including daytime, evenings, and weekends.
- Minimum of 4 shifts during tax season
Location: Make Tax Time Pay has various locations in the Edmonton area.
- Provides a safe, welcoming, non-judgemental environment for individuals and families coming to file their taxes
- Reaches out to, and starts a conversation with individuals about benefits that they may be eligible for
- Answers questions related to common benefits including eligibility,
- Uses the You Can Benefit navigator online tool to help people see what benefits they may be eligible for
- Assists individuals and families in the completion of benefits forms
- Completes the intake form in a clear and legible manner for each individual/family Maintains confidentiality of all personal information
Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge Required:
- Friendly, patient, and welcoming demeanor
- Must be able to work with socially and culturally diverse groups experiencing poverty in a welcoming and non-judgemental manner
- Comfortable answering questions in a kind, calm, and professional manner
- Comfortable with handling personal financial information in a professional manner
- Complete a volunteer application (include references)
- Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Search
- Register as CVITP volunteer (Canadian Volunteer Income Tax Program)
Orientation/Training to be completed:
Volunteers will be provided with a 3 hour training session during the month of February/March that includes an orientation to e4c and our Make Tax Time Pay Program. The training sessions also includes specifics on the role of the benefits volunteer and how to fill out common benefits forms.
Benefits of the Position:
- Volunteers gain valuable experience and insight working with socially and culturally diverse communities
- An opportunity to directly contribute to supporting the financial wellbeing of Edmonton’s most vulnerable citizens
- Work in a relaxed team environment that promotes relationship building
- e4c can be used as a reference.
Why this position is valuable and how it contributes to e4c:
- Directly contributes to the financial well-being of low income individuals and families by supporting them to get tax refunds, tax credits, and government benefits
- Increases e4c’s public profile and relationships with other organizations
For more information and to apply to be a volunteer contact us at: