e4c ArtStart Volunteer Facilitator
Supervisor: Program Coordinator
e4c Artstart is a preventative after-school program for children and youth that utilizes the arts as a means of developing fundamental life skills. Our goal is to provide high quality after-school programming in order to foster self-esteem, and the resiliency of children to ensure their long-term school success. The curriculum focuses on three main themes: Self, Self and Others, Self and Community. Topics covered include identity, health and wellness, self esteem, food and nutrition, anti-bullying, healthy relationships, cultural diversity, environmental stewardship, and social justice.
Volunteers encourage student’s interests and creativity using skill building art projects that include components of literacy, numeracy, and physical dexterity. Volunteers, with the support of program staff, will develop class plans that explore the curriculum themes. ArtStart volunteers are mentors who demonstrate what a healthy relationship with an adult looks like, by facilitating from a person centered, trauma sensitive approach.
Time, Schedule, and Commitment:
- Approximately 3-4 hours/week for a maximum of 10 weeks
- Sessions are held once a week during the school calendar year (September-June)
Location: ArtStart is offered at various schools in Metro Edmonton
- Plan classes that adhere to ArtStart’s curriculum
- Facilitate classes from a person centered approach
- Encouraging a safe and inclusive environment
- Respecting confidentiality
- Communicating and reporting concerns and updates to ArtStart staff
Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge Required:
- Experience and enjoy working with children
- Cooperative and contributing team member
- Organized, with good planning skills
- Reliable and committed to offering a successful
- Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter
- Complete the interview process
- Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Search
- Child Intervention Check
Orientation/Training to be completed:
All volunteers are required to attend an e4c orientation session. Additionally, volunteers will receive an ArtStart orientation at the initial interview or a following date.
Benefits of the Position:
- Gain experience in community outreach through the arts
- Gain experience and support in program development and delivery
- Gain experience in working with vulnerable youth who are affected by the daily stresses of poverty
Why this position is valuable and how it contributes to e4c:
e4c ArtStart aligns with e4c’s mandate by responding to emergent needs in vulnerable school communities. ArtStart addresses the need for accessible programing that creates supportive environments for children in a time of individual and family need. Through partnerships with schools and other community agencies, ArtStart provides opportunity for children to develop skills that will impact wellness and resiliency, while promoting inclusive and socially sustainable communities. ArtStart alleviates the social stresses experienced by children living in poverty by providing empowering environments that promote life skills and healthy relationships.
For more information and to apply to be a volunteer contact us at: