MCNEILL HUMAN RESOURCES is pleased to support the search process in this exciting, progressive organization in finding a strong HR Leader to step up and become the trusted and competent driver of e4c’s efforts to reach for Human Resource Excellence. The HR Manager is a senior staff member reporting to the Chief Executive Officer of e4c. You will have responsibilities for the strategic leadership of e4c’ s HR programs, developing HR policies, supporting management on compliance matters and providing high level competency in recruitment, on-boarding, staffing, training and development, performance development, employee relations and wellness programs. As the HR Manager, you will provide leadership and coaching to the organization’s senior leadership team and operational leaders and act as a partner to the front line by imbedding human resource programs into day-to-day work and providing professional guidance and support with the objective of adding value to the agency.
About e4c: For over 50 years, e4c has been working to support people’s most urgent needs in the here and now, while simultaneously working to prevent and eliminate poverty. All of our programs and services have the goal of advancing human rights for the people and communities we serve. e4c’s four pillars of support include food security, shelter & housing, community connections, and education & skill development. Supports are offered in a wrap-around approach, understanding that poverty is complex, and that challenges are often not isolated to one support area.
We rely on community and connections to further the work that we do in Edmonton, while building strong communities of people with shared interests and experiencing, enhancing the resources within those communities. Poverty often results in isolation, and focusing on empowering individuals to become connected to their community offers valuable interpersonal connection, but also the value of those with lived experience helping to share their learnings with others.
e4c Vision: Our vision is ultimately the elimination of poverty. It will be a remarkable achievement, and one which can only be accomplished collaboratively. e4c is committed to working toward this vision together with interest groups, service organizations, funders, businesses, government, and the community at large.
Our Mission: is to change lives and grow communities:
- To be a supportive and empowering presence in times of individual, family, and community need.
- To create opportunities for people to become self-supporting, and to lead in the growth of inclusive and caring communities.
- To be dedicated to program and service excellence, and to place high priority on collaborative partnerships, inclusive transparent operations, promoting public awareness and building broad community support.
- To be responsive to emergent needs, and to continuously seek new and creative opportunities to improve and develop services in our areas of expertise.
Our Principles of Culture
- Principles based
- Enables all staff to thrive
- Succinct but broad
- Balances role clarity and ambiguity
Qualities of Authentic e4c Leadership
- Values diverse opinions
- Cultivates a culture of trust
- Develops other leaders
- Helps people with life issues
- Sells instead of tells
- Think you and not me
- Thinks long-term
- Acts with humility
Major Job Functions:
- Organizational planning, development, and implementation of HR framework strategies
- Talent acquisition
- Leadership, Coaching, Mentoring
- Develop and maintain organizational structures, competency-based job descriptions and classifications
- Total Compensation, Rewards and Recognition
- Performance Development/Management
- Employee Relations/Engagement
- Payroll and Benefits
- Learning & Development
- HR Administration, polices, procedure, practices, metrics, governance
- HR Budget process
Skills & Competencies:
- Strong leadership, consulting, coaching, negotiation, and mediation skills
- Sets the example, builds trust, flexible, empathetic, and authentic
- Strong business and HR acumen, including problem solving skills, critical thinking, and personal initiative to enable linkage between HR initiatives and the business strategy
- Excellent self and situational awareness
- Excellent verbal and written communications, including the ability to create high quality documents and reports
- Strong prioritization and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative manner with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to conduct effective interviews for selection as well as investigation purposes
- Strength in driving new and creative learning strategies
- The ability to collaborate and Influence others effectively
- Demonstrated commitment to the organization in driving our vision and purpose
- Intermediate to advanced skills in MS Windows – Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and HRMS
- Sound general knowledge of HR Programs, Policies, & Procedures
- Understanding of federal/provincial laws relating to HR
- Proficiency in MS Office package and familiar with reporting programs and HRIS
- Working knowledge of organizational principles, change management, employee engagement, performance development and management, coaching, leadership development, on-boarding, HR metrics, payroll, pension & benefits, rewards and recognition, compensation, recruitment, labour law, and disability management
- Thorough understanding of Health and Safety policies and procedures
- Strategic and systems thinking
- Foster an environment of open communications within the HR team and the entire organization.
- Commitment to Authentic leadership.
- Ensure adherence to employment legislation, organizational policies, governance, privacy laws in support of the organizational values and risk mitigation for the organization.
- Provide support in the development and monitoring of e4c’s culture that supports the success of strategic initiatives and promote employee wellness.
- Identify innovative tools and evaluate efficiencies and workflow processes applicable to e4c.
- Develop and maintain consistent visibility and relationship building with all organizational staff and its clients and stakeholders as required.
- Maintain strict confidentiality both in and out of the workplace.
- Meet client expectations and required service levels by providing consistent, accurate and timely Human Resources advice.
- Health and Safety expectations.
- Work with management to develop action plans aligned with the strategic people plan and the business strategy.
- Create communications materials related to HR programs and processes.
- Represent the organization in a professional and ethical manner, at all times.
- Determine the scope and objectives of HR projects, set priorities, determine scheduling, resources required, budget availability, impacts, cost benefit analysis, training required for HR, leaders, and staff.
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Human Resources, commerce, business, or other related fields.
- CPHR designation would be preferred but consideration will be given to those who have extensive experience without a designation.
- 7+ years as a HR generalist with strong knowledge of HR disciplines.
- 5+ years as a mid-level manager would be considered an asset.
- Extensive experience and training in the areas of coaching, counselling, performance management, teambuilding and wellness programs, compensation, and benefits, building cultures, strategic thinking, learning techniques, managing complexity and change would be preferred.
- The ability to deal with ambiguity, tight timelines, and multiple priorities, in a fast-paced team environment with constant change.
- Experience working in an environment requiring strong multi-tasking abilities.
Please submit a thoughtful Cover Letter and Resume outlining your relevant experience and qualifications:
For any questions and inquiries, please contact:
- C/O Greg McNeill
McNeill Human Resources
At e4c diversity is our strength. We embrace diversity and offer equal opportunities to all qualified applicants. We welcome your application regardless of origin, culture, ethnicity, age, ability, gender identity, sexual orientation or faith.
Thank you to all those apply. Only those short-listed will be contacted for an interview.