Life Skills Coordinator – Transitional Housing (Bears Den)
Do you have a knack for making a house feel like a home and take pride in drafting checklists to accomplish day to day household tasks? Do you identify as an organized and detailed problem-solver that eﬀectively multi-tasks by using your in-depth technical knowledge of managing a household? The Life Skills Coordinator role could be the next step in your career if you identify as being a culinary mastermind and have a willingness to share your household organizational secrets!
You will create a safe home environment for up to 5 residents (who due to past histories of trauma and related mental illness and additions require enhanced levels of housing support) through utilizing non-judgmental, harm reduction and trauma informed approaches. Through using a holistic approach that incorporates natural law, you will focus on: modelling meaningful daily activity, cooking delicious meals, discovering residents’ own skills and knowledge, and initiating opportunities to guide residents with basic skills needed to maintain a safe and clean environment.
Hours: Full-time: 4 shifts on 4 shifts off: 8:00am to 5:00pm
Why Join Our Team
- Empower people through meaningful opportunities and positively impact those we walk alongside.
- In-house collaborative training opportunities and supervisory coaching sessions to build knowledge, skills and tools relevant to your role and duties.
- Robust benefit program, RRSP contributions, 3 weeks’ vacation, EAP and other work related benefits.
- Connect with a variety of stakeholders – team members, residents, general public and community members to build and model positive neighbor relations.
In Your Role You Will
- Teach and model life skills in the home with residents including: cooking, meal planning, grocery shopping, transportation education, time management, money management, problem solving, healthy relationships, medication administration and cleaning.
- Plan and prepare meals in accordance with residents’ preferences in alignment with the Canada Food Guide and licensing requirements.
- Maintain food inventory and kitchen supplies in adherence to the food budget.
- Create life skills learning opportunities with residents and Wellness Team related to special occasions and wellness programming.
- Clean and maintain household to ensure compliance with all legislation, bylaws and standards (health, safety, fire, city and accreditation).
- Inform and receive information to multi-disciplinary team regarding: progress of residents, changes in behavior, and challenges that residents may be experiencing.
- Administer medication for all residents.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with community stakeholders and act as a point of contact for the community.
Education and Certifications
- Diploma in the area of human services, social services, education and/or administration.
- Police Information Check including vulnerable sector.
- Child Intervention Record Check.
- Required (or willingness to obtain): First Aid and CPR, Medication Administration, Suicide Intervention, Food Safety Training
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License, Proof of Vehicle Registration and Vehicle Insurance (with 2 million dollar liability coverage), 3 Year Driver’s abstract and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Recommended: Mental Health First Aid, De-escalation Certificate, Harm Reduction Training and Cultural Awareness, Motivational Interviewing.
- Three (3) years of related direct service work experience with diverse communities with varying and complex priorities and needs.
- Previous experience with household management, cleaning, nutrition, meal preparation and grocery shopping is an asset.
- Proven ability to foster a team environment.
- Personal lived experience of addictions, mental illness, racism, discrimination, poverty is an asset
- Experience working in collaborative partnerships
- Working knowledge and experience with harm reduction, person-centered, trauma-informed, behavior modification, natural law, strength based, collaborative, and/or solution focused practice.
When applying, please submit a thoughtful Cover Letter and Resume outlining your experience, interests and qualifications for this role:
- Email: email@example.com
At e4c diversity is our strength. We embrace diversity and offer equal opportunities to all qualified applicants. We welcome your application regardless of origin, culture, ethnicity, age, ability, gender identity, sexual orientation or faith.
Thank you to all those apply and those who are short-listed will be contacted.