Overnight Life Skills Coach – Permanent Supportive Housing
Are you patient, excellent at managing crisis, a multi-tasker, and enjoy creating a clean environment when it comes to transforming night time routines into learning experiences? You will create a safe home environment for up to 20 residents (who due to histories of trauma and related mental illness and addictions require enhanced levels of housing support) through utilizing non-judgmental, harm reduction, and trauma informed approaches. With utilizing natural law practices, you will focus on: building relationships with residents, modelling healthy night time routines, creating a calm and restful atmosphere at night, assisting residents who are awake, providing medication assistance and healthy ways to resolve conflict.
Hours: 4 shifts on 4 shifts off: 11:30pm to 9:00am
(Due to AHS recommendations, applicants who are working at multiple congregate living or healthcare sites will not be considered.)
Why Join Our Team
- Overnight schedule: more intentional time during the day, scheduling outside of a standard 9-5 practice and awake shifts to increase productivity.
- In-house collaborative training opportunities and supervisory coaching sessions to build knowledge, skills and tools relevant to your role and duties.
- Robust benefit program, RRSP contributions, 3 weeks’ vacation, EAP and other work related benefits.
- Be supervised and mentored by a team of diverse individuals through observation, formal and informal coaching sessions and overall recognition of successes in support of your professional capacity.
In Your Role You Will
- Support residents to build structure and routines at nighttime including (but not limited to): cooking, sleep hygiene, conflict resolution, medication administration, healthy relationships, problem solving, and the maintenance of a clean and safe environment.
- Use relationship-based approaches to guide and model a spectrum of basic life skills in the home with residents.
- When natural opportunity arises, promote conflict resolution, positive communication, empathy and respect (through positive reinforcement, role modeling and supportive listening).
- Provide non-judgmental support for residents who are under the influence or are experiencing mental health struggles.
- Clean and maintain household to ensure compliance with all legislation, bylaws and standards (health, safety, fire, city and accreditation).
- Inform and receive information from Housing Program team regarding: the progress of residents, changes in behavior, and challenges that residents may be experiencing.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with community stakeholders and act as a point of contact for the community during nighttime hours.
Education and Certifications
- Diploma in the area of human services, food services, education and/or administration.
- Police Information Check including vulnerable sector.
- Required (or willingness to obtain): First Aid and CPR, Medication Administration, Suicide Intervention, Food Safety Training
- Recommended: Mental Health First Aid, De-escalation Certificate, Harm Reduction Training and Cultural Awareness, Motivational Interviewing.
- 1+ year of related direct service work experience working with diverse communities with varying and complex priorities and needs.
- Working knowledge and experience with harm reduction, person-centered, trauma-informed, behavior modification, natural law, strength based, collaborative, and/or solution focused practice.
- Proven ability to foster a team environment.
- Experience working in collaborative partnerships.
- Personal lived experience of addictions, mental illness, racism, discrimination, poverty is an asset
- Experience working in collaborative partnerships
When applying, please submit a thoughtful Cover Letter and Resume outlining your experience, interests and qualifications for this role:
At e4c diversity is our strength. We embrace diversity and offer equal opportunities to all qualified applicants. We welcome your application regardless of origin, culture, ethnicity, age, ability, gender identity, sexual orientation or faith.
Thank you to all those apply and those who are short-listed will be contacted.