Support Worker – McCauley Group Homes
Are you passionate about supporting individuals to achieve their highest level of personal growth and well-being? The Support Worker is an exciting opportunity to gain experience working in a community related to addictions and mental health. You will actively support 10 female residents to develop meaningful wellness and self-care practices that align with their own goals during the day and night time. You will contribute in creating a safe home environment for residents who due to histories of trauma and related mental illness and addictions through utilizing non-judgmental, harm reduction and person-centered approaches.
Hours: Part-time – Friday & Saturday from 11:00pm to 11:00am
Wage: $16.42 per hour.
Why Join Our Team
- Part-time schedule: more intentional time during the day, scheduling outside of a standard 9am-5pm practice and awake shifts to increase productivity.
- In-house collaborative training opportunities to build knowledge, skills and tools relevant to your role and duties.
- Connect with a variety of stakeholders – team members, residents, general public and community members to build and model positive neighbor relations.
- Be a part of a supportive team, dedicated to professional and personal growth.
In Your Role You Will
- Coach and model wellness and self-care practices within the homes and with residents.
- Implement and coordinate resident recreational activities that align with service care plans.
- Foster a fun and engaging environment that facilitates the exploration of wellness with residents.
- Communicate and receive information from housing program team regarding progress of the residents, significant changes in behavior, and any concerns/challenges that the resident is experiencing.
- Maintain service care plans and other necessary documentations in relation to resident and facility updates, ensuring appropriate file management procedures are followed.
- Support residents with housekeeping duties including: daily meal preparation, cleanliness of living arrangements and overall environment as necessary.
- Compile and adhere to legislation, bylaws, standards (health, fire, safety, city and accreditation) by reporting any potential safety hazards, performing emergency procedures and responding to security and emergent issues.
- Administer medication for program residents.
- Work with the other staff to build community within the house and to develop good community relations.
- This position requires flexibility, an ability to adapt and function in potentially high stress environments. Potential exposure to: violent/aggressive situations, drugs and/or alcohol, cigarette smoke and bed bugs.
- This position requires periodically handling, moving office/agency/participants’ materials and equipment and periodic yard maintenance and snow removal work.
Education and Certifications
- Diploma in the area of human services, education and/or administration and 6 months of related work experience or equivalent.
- Certification (or willingness to obtain):
- Police Check with Vulnerable Sector.
- First Aid and CPR.
- Medication Administration.
- Food Safety.
- Working knowledge of inner city, homelessness, poverty, mental health, addiction, prostitution, abuse and multicultural issues.
- Proven ability to build, maintain, and model healthy relationships, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, empathy, and initiative.
- Personal lived experience of addictions, mental illness, racism, discrimination and poverty is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of social and health related community resources available to residents.
- Demonstrated ability to mediate and resolve conflict.
- Proven ability to practice: relationship-based approaches, respectful and collaborative approaches.
- Awareness of and desire for reconciliation with Indigenous peoples.
- A strong understanding and desire for social justice.
When applying, please submit a thoughtful Cover Letter and Resume outlining your interest and experience to:
At e4c diversity is our strength. We embrace diversity and offer equal opportunities to all qualified applicants. We welcome your application regardless of origin, culture, ethnicity, age, ability, gender identity, sexual orientation or faith.
Thank you to all those apply. Only those short-listed will be contacted for an interview.