Support Worker (Temporary Position) – McCauley Group Homes
Are you passionate about self-care, personal growth, recovery and can draw inspiration from your own knowledge about wellness? The Support Worker is an exciting opportunity to work in a community related to modelling wellness programming and initiatives with residents who due to histories of trauma and related mental illness require housing supports. You will utilize a holistic approach including aspects of emotional, spiritual, physical and mental wellness in supporting 19 male residents by creating a safe and engaging environment for their nighttime wellness routines.
Hours: Temporary to December 2020 – Monday to Friday from 1:00pm to 9:00pm; with a possibility of extension.
Wage: Starting at $18.47 per hour.
Why Join Our Team
- In-house collaborative training opportunities to build knowledge, skills and tools relevant to your role and duties.
- Connect with a variety of stakeholders – team members, residents, general public and community members to build and model positive neighbor relations.
- Be a part of a supportive team, dedicated to professional and personal growth.
In Your Role You Will
- Coach and model wellness and self-care practices within the homes and with residents.
- Foster an engaging nighttime learning environment that facilitates the exploration of wellness with residents.
- Communicate and receive information from housing program team regarding progress of the residents, significant changes in behavior, and any concerns/challenges that the resident is experiencing.
- Maintain service care plans and other necessary documentations in relation to resident and facility updates, ensuring appropriate file management procedures are followed.
- Support residents with housekeeping duties including: daily meal preparation, cleanliness of living arrangements and overall environment as necessary.
- Administer medication for program residents.
- Clean and maintain health standards within the facility.
- Work with the other staff to build community within the house and to develop good community relations.
- This position requires flexibility, an ability to adapt and function in potentially high stress environments. Potential exposure to: violent/aggressive situations, drugs and/or alcohol, cigarette smoke and bed bugs.
- Working with sanitation products on a regular basis.
- This position requires periodically handling, moving office/agency/participants’ materials and equipment and periodic yard maintenance and snow removal work.
- Requires the ability to move up and down stairs and to lift 10-20 kg.
Education and Certifications
- Diploma in the area of human services, education and/or administration and 6 months of related work experience or equivalent.
- Police Check with Vulnerable Sector.
- Certification: First Aid and CPR, Medication Administration, Food Safety.
- Suicide Intervention, Mental Health First Aid, De-escalation Certificate, Harm Reduction Training, Cultural Awareness, Trauma Informed, Drivers License, Vehicle Insurance & Registration Documents.
- Working knowledge of inner city, homelessness, poverty, mental health, addiction, prostitution, abuse and multicultural issues.
- Proven ability to build, maintain, and model healthy relationships, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, empathy, and initiative.
- Knowledge of social and health related community resources available to residents.
- Demonstrated ability to mediate and resolve conflict.
- Proven ability to practice: relationship-based approaches, respectful and collaborative approaches.
- Awareness of and desire for reconciliation with Indigenous peoples.
- A strong understanding and desire for social justice.
When applying, please submit a thoughtful Cover Letter and Resume outlining your interest and experience to:
At e4c diversity is our strength. We embrace diversity and offer equal opportunities to all qualified applicants. We welcome your application regardless of origin, culture, ethnicity, age, ability, gender identity, sexual orientation or faith.
Thank you to all those apply. Only those short-listed will be contacted for an interview.