Virtual Volunteer: Benefits Navigator
Supervisor: Lead Tax Preparer
Program Description: e4c’s Make Tax Time Pay (MTTP) program provides families and individuals with lower incomes with free income tax preparation, information and applications on government benefits, subsidies, and financial resource information.
Time, Schedule, and Commitment:
- Flexible scheduling for 3-5 hours per week depending on volume of requests. You will be setting your own schedule one week ahead of time; shift scheduling is very flexible.
- We ask for a minimum of 4 shifts over the duration of the Clinics to cover the training commitment.
Location: Remote Work
Equipment: Benefits Navigators are asked to use their own computers and phones, however in special circumstances a laptop can be borrowed from e4c.
- Once clients have completed their taxes with our volunteer Tax Preparers, they will be offered referrals to Benefits Navigators. The Tax Preparer will have virtual access to your schedule, which you will set a week in advance.
- Tax Preparers will schedule one hour time slots with tax clients to speak to you about different benefits available to them now they have completed their taxes, ranging from the Leisure Access Pass, to the Canada Child Tax Benefit. Training will be provided.
- Assist with application forms for various benefits.
- Maintains confidentiality of all personal information.
Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge Required:
- Must be able to work with socially and culturally diverse groups experiencing poverty in a welcoming and non-judgmental manner.
- Comfortable talking on the phone.
- Available and open for virtual training.
- Good working knowledge of computers and related technology.
- Complete a volunteer application
- Undergo a Police Information & Intervention Record Check. If you do not have one from the last three years, e4c can provide a letter indicating need which will decrease your price to $15.
- Virtual volunteer training will be held the month of February. Multiple time slots available.
- Volunteers gain valuable experience and insight working with socially and culturally diverse
- Volunteer will gain important information about resources and benefits within Edmonton and beyond.
- We are focused on community-building and relationship-building. We will be working in a relaxed team environment with opportunities for questions and support.
- An opportunity to directly contribute to supporting the financial wellbeing of Edmonton’s most
- e4c and the MTTP supervisors can be used as references.
- No travel required, you can volunteer from the comfort of your home.
Why this position is valuable and how it contributes to e4c:
- Directly contributes to the financial well-being of low income individuals and families by
supporting them to get tax refunds, tax credits, and government benefits
- Volunteers with MTTP help e4c work towards our goal to prevent and eventually eliminate poverty