Virtual Volunteer: Scheduler
Supervisor: MTTP Program Coordinator
Program Description: e4c’s Make Tax Time Pay (MTTP) program provides families and individuals with lower incomes with free income tax preparation, information and applications on government benefits and subsidies, as well as financial resource information.
Time, Schedule, and Commitment:
- Flexible scheduling for 4-10 hours per week depending on volume of requests. You will be setting your own schedule one week ahead of time; shift scheduling is very flexible.
- We ask that schedulers are available to check voicemails and book appointments for at least 2 shifts per week.
Location: All MTTP staff and volunteers will be working remotely.
Equipment: Schedulers will be provided an e4c cell phone with a unique phone number that is provided to 211. Schedulers are asked to use their own computers, however in special circumstances a laptop can be borrowed from e4c.
- Schedulers will be responsible for the booking of tax appointments when clients call the e4c cell phone. Schedulers will have virtual access to 5-6 e4c volunteer Tax Preparers calendars and will book appointments based on those calendars.
- Check voicemail and call clients back at least twice a week. Cell phones will have limited voicemail capacity.
- Work to demystify the tax filing process and ensure that the person being served is
comfortable with and knowledgeable about the tax filing process.
- Some screening of clients, ensuring they qualify for the program (i.e. do not have self-employed income or investment income and they fit within the low income threshold). Screening questions will be provided.
- Maintain confidentiality of all personal information.
Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge Required:
- Must be able to work with socially and culturally diverse groups experiencing poverty in awelcoming and non-judgmental manner.
- Comfortable talking on the phone.
- Available and open for virtual training.
- Some comfort with computers.
- Complete a volunteer application.
- Register with the CRA as a volunteer tax preparer and receive e-file certification (This
process may take up to 30 days).
- Undergo a Criminal Record Check. If you do not have one from the last three years, e4c can provide a letter indicating need which will decrease your price to $15.
- Virtual training will be held the month of February. Multiple times will be available.
- Volunteers gain valuable experience and insight working with socially and culturally diverse communities.
- While we are not able to meet in person, we will still be focused on community building and relationship building. We will be working in a relaxed team environment and there will always be opportunities for questions and support.
- An opportunity to directly contribute to supporting the financial wellbeing of Edmonton’s most vulnerable citizens.
- e4c and the MTTP supervisors can be used as references.
- No travel required, you can volunteer from the comfort of your home.
Why this position is valuable and how it contributes to e4c:
- Directly contributes to the financial well-being of low income individuals and families by
supporting them to get tax refunds, tax credits, and government benefits.
- Volunteers with MTTP help e4c work towards our goal to prevent and eventually eliminate poverty